Don’t kill me’: UFC heavyweight champion Jon Jones posts a string of cryptic tweets leading to fears over the troubled superstar’s safety – before deleting them all
- Jon Jones shared a series of worrying posts to his Twitter account on Sunday
- UFC heavyweight champion tweeted five times in the space of seven minutes
- Tweets included Jones writing ‘Erase this year?’ and ‘Being nice conversations’
Jon Jones has left fans worried after posting a string of cryptic tweets to his Twitter account on Sunday – before deleting them all.
The pound-for-pound great, who became a two-weight world champion when he defeated Ciryl Gane at UFC 285 earlier this month, tweeted five times in the space of seven minutes without explanation.
Jones’ first tweet came at 12:53pm BST and read, ‘Don’t kill me’. The 35-year-old followed this up a minute later by writing, ‘Don’t kill you either’.
Following this, Jones continued in more ambiguous fashion, writing ‘Being nice conversation’ followed by ‘Erase this year?’ and finally ‘Twitter says’ before ending his posting spree without further explanation.
However, a few hours after posting the cryptic tweets, Jones then deleted them all.
Jon Jones has sparked concern after posting a series of unusual tweets on Sunday
Jones shared a series of worrying tweets over a seven minute period on his profile
The erratic and nonsensical nature of Jones’ tweets led fans to worry about the New York-born fighter’s safety.
In addition to being recognized as one of the greatest fighters ever to have graced the Octagon, Jones has been at the centre of various controversies, both in competition and surrounding his personal life.
In 2015, an arrest warrant was issued when he was alleged to have fled the scene after his rental car was involved in a collision with two other vehicles, leaving an injured pregnant woman behind.
Jones later pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and was sentenced to probation and stripped of his UFC light heavyweight title.
The former collegiate wrestling champion was also arrested in his home state of New Mexico in March 2020 after failing a roadside breathalyzer test and was charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated, negligent use of a firearm, possession of an open container, and driving with no proof of insurance.
Most recently Jones was arrested in September 2021 after attending his induction to the UFC Hall of Fame for his fight with Alexander Gustafsson.
Officers attending the scene were responding to claims of a domestic incident between the fighter and his fiance. Jones was charged with domestic battery following the incident but the charges were later dropped.
Jones later addressed the incident on his Instagram account, writing that he has ‘way too much trauma to consume alcohol’ and vowing to ‘turn this nightmare into the best thing to ever happen in my life’.
Jones recently returned to the UFC following a three-year absence and defeated Ciryl Gane
And Jones came back in style – he needed only two minutes to wrap up a victory over Gane
The heavyweight champion has been rumoured to make the first defence of his title in July
After defeating Gane last month in a blistering display that saw him take just two minutes to win, Jones was emotional.
‘First and foremost, I gotta give thanks to my lord and savior Jesus Christ,’ he said. ‘Without him, I never would’ve made it this far.
‘I’ve been working for this for such a long time, but I’ve been faithful to my goal. I’ve been faithful to the mission.
‘There were days that I didn’t want to train but I was always there. I knew if I got him down to the ground that the fight would be in my area as I’ve been wrestling since I was 12 years old.
‘I actually felt a little bit goofy on the feet, but I want to say one last thing, “Baa!”‘
He also set his sights on a showdown with Stipe Miocic and called him out.
‘Stipe Miocic, I hope you’re training, my guy. You’re the greatest heavyweight of all time, and that’s what I want. I want you — real bad.’