HONOLULU – The top-ranked University of Hawai’i men’s volleyball team will close out the regular season with a two-match series against UC San Diego, Friday, April 14 and Saturday, April 15 at SimpliFi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center. The Rainbow Warriors (24-2, 7-1 BWC) can clinch a share of the Big West regular season title with a pair of wins this week. Following Saturday’s match, six seniors – Jakob Thelle, Filip Humler, Kana’i Akana, Dimitrios Mouchlias, Devon Johnson, and Cole Hogland – will be honored during the traditional Senior Night ceremony.
|Who||#1 Hawai’i (24-2, 7-1 BWC) vs. UC San Diego (8-14, 2-6 BWC)|
|Date | Time||Friday, April 14, 7:00 p.m. HT and Saturday, April 15, 7:00 p.m. HT|
|Location||Honolulu, O’ahu — SimpliFi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center|
|Television||Spectrum Sports. Kanoa Leahey (play-by-play) and Chris McLachlin (analyst).|
|Live Stream||ESPN+ (blacked out in Hawai’i).|
|Radio||ESPN Honolulu (1420AM/92.7FM). Tiff Wells (play-by-play).|
|Streaming Audio||ESPNHonolulu.com; Sideline Hawaii app.|
|Game Notes||Hawai’i | UCSD | Big West|
|Digital Program||Click here|
|Social Media||@HawaiiMensVB | #HawaiiMVB #WarriorBall23 | @HawaiiMVB | Facebook|
- Hawai’i (24-2, 7-1 BWC) leapfrogged UC Irvine in the Big West standings by sweeping a two-match series last week in Honolulu. UC San Diego (8-14, 2-6) won its lone match last week defeating UC Santa Barbara in five sets in La Jolla.
- A total is six seniors will be honored following Saturday’s match — Jakob Thelle, Filip Humler, Kana’i Akana, Dimitrios Mouchlias, Devon Johnson, and Cole Hogland.
- UH’s 24 wins this season is tied for the sixth-most in program history. The single-season record is 28 set in 2019. Last year’s squad won 27 matches.
- Two wins this week would give UH a share of the Big West regular season title and No. 1 seed in next week’s Big West Championship. (UH owns the tiebreaker over Long Beach State). UH has one Big West regular season title in 2021.
- UH boasts a current seven-match win streak.
- UH leads the all-time series 61-6. The 61 wins are the most against a single opponent in program history.
- The Tritons have a win over Hawai’i in each of the past two seasons — 2021 Big West Tournament semifinals in Honolulu and 2022 regular season in La Jolla.
- Setter Jakob Thelle needs four aces to become the program’s all-time leader. Currently he is fourth with 118 and needs one to tie Brook Sedore for third. The co-leaders are Costas Theocharidis and Pedro Azenha with 121.
- UH is 15-2 at home this season while UCSD is 1-8 on the road.
- UH is 21-3 all-time in Big West home matches, including a 4-0 mark against the Tritons.
- Eighteen of UH’s 24 wins this season have come in straight sets.
- UH has averaged 6,415 through 17 home matches this season, its highest season average attendance since 1998 (7,115). Hawai’i has drawn over 7,000 six times this season.
- UH is 23-1 when winning the first set this season and 72-3 over the last 3+ seasons.
Saturday: Senior Night “Show UHM Your Aloha” presented by the University of Hawai’i Federal Credit Union – A special night as head coach Charlie Wade will honor his senior class after the match, and fans are encouraged to wear their favorite aloha shirt to support the seniors in their final home match. The first 500 fans through the doors will receive pom poms courtesy of UHFCU. At intermission, fans will have a chance to win an iPad during our intermission game.